Monday, May 13, 2013

Links - Punctal Plugs

Came across a link to several articles at wisegeek.com about Punctal Plugs (Tear Duct Plugs):

what are punctal plugs

Also on wisegeek.com, there is an article about the Schirmer Test - a test that helps doctors diagnose various medical conditions that cause dry eyes:

what is the schirmer test

The website DryEyeSyndrome.com has excellent resources, which includes explaining the various types of plugs:

encyclopedia plugs

DryEyeSyndrome.com also has excellent forums for those suffering from dry eyes and those who want to discuss the plugs:

forum PLUGS-etc

3 comments:

  1. I had the temp ones for 2 weeks and for the first 7 days there was a remarkable improvement, then they dissolved into my system. I now have had the silicone permanent ones installed and am in a large amount of pain and the inner portions of both eyes are seriously red and inflamed. I am close to calling the doctor for the second time and having them taken out but they told me to give it the weekend. Dis you experience soreness and redness when you had yours done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I never had temporary ones - just permanent ones put in.
    I never had any irritation or redness from the plugs whatsoever.
    Are you using eye lubricant drops along with the tear duct plugs, as needed? If the doctor didn't prescribe an eye lubricant, ask him if that would help.
    Its possible you could be having an allergic reaction to the materials in the plugs.
    Eye infections as a result of insertion of punctal plugs are rare.

    This site has lots of information about the plugs:

    http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/punctal-plugs.htm

    I would definately call the doctor to let him know exactly what you are expereincing because pain shouldn't be happening.
    Keep me posted okay?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This scares me even more. I called earlier today and they reassured me that some inflammation was normal and to give it a few days. You may be right, I could be having an allergic reaction to these things which is sad because the temporary ones worked so well. I have to sit through the weekend feeling like this now that the office is closed, hopefully it doesn't cause any damage. I will keep you posted, your site gave me hope.

    ReplyDelete